Thursday, May 3, 2007

Lorenzo Dow Blackson

My interest in Blackson genealogy began in 1997. My cousin Joyce Jenkins, our family historian, was conducting fieldwork, searching through books and records in Delaware and Pennsylvania for seeds of our family’s history. Growing up, I hadn’t heard much about my mom’s side of the family, partly because the Blackson clan resided in Philadelphia and partly because my mom was guarded when it came to the subject of the past. One thing that's important to know about researching family history is that whatever you uncover may not be pleasant. This is especially true for Africans in the Diaspora, whose families were separated, whose traditions were lost or fragmented and the very way in which we precieve our identity has been forever altered. Fortunately one of our ancestors, Lorenzo Dow Blackson, published a novel in 1867 titled "The Rise and Progress of the Kingdoms of Light and Darkness." You can access the book online by clicking the Wright American Fiction link.

2 comments:

drlaughinghouse said...

I have to present another work by Lorenzo Dow Blackson called: The Kingdoms of Light and the Kingdoms of Darkness.
I would love to ask you a few questions about your ancestor, Mr. Blackson. Similar to you, I have an aunt that is the family historian and has revealed some painful things of my family's past. But it is all worth knowing because, in many ways, these stories inspire me to be strong and courageous when times are toughest.
my email is: drlaughinghouse@yahoo.com

I could not locate your personal email.
Thanks,

Unknown said...

Hello, I am a descendant from Lorenzo D. Blackson. We are the family members who reside in Philadelphia. I hope you get to see this comment because I really would like to talk some more.
My email is coreyfletcher34@yahoo.com